Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quade Fired; Ryno Not A Candidate

Rookie ERA

Cubs Quade Fired; Ryno Not A Candidate

Mike Quade is out as Chicago Cubs manager with one year remaining on his two-year deal, and Ryne Sandberg won't be considered as his replacement.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein flew to Florida on Wednesday to personally give Quade the news.

Quade told a friend the conversation was good and he appreciated being given the news directly.

The shocking news was that Sandberg would not be considered. In a statement, Epstein said the next Cubs manager "must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level."

That would leave Sandberg out of the picture. The highest level he's managed at is triple-A, and he's never been a major league coach. The speculation was that if the Cubs did not rule Sandberg out immediately, the groundswell to name him from fans would be deafening.

Quade, who beat out Sandberg for the vacancy last year, went 95-104 after taking over for Lou Piniella in August of 2010. The Cubs were 71-91 in 2011, finishing 25 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Central.

Epstein's statement said his next manager must have "leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind."

Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona is likely on Epstein's list if he wants to return to managing this quickly. Francona's departure from Boston led to Epstein agreeing to sign a five-year deal with the Cubs.

Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer had a seven-hour meeting with Quade last week. In his statement, he said: "Jed Hoyer and I had an all-day meeting with Mike last Thursday at Wrigley Field, and Mike and I continued our dialogue with a lengthy phone conversation yesterday after the press conference. Today, I flew to Florida to inform Mike in person that the Cubs have decided not to bring him back as our manager for the 2012 season.

"When I joined the Cubs last week, I knew that Mike had a reputation as an outstanding baseball guy, as a tireless worker, and as a first-rate human being. After spending some time with him this past week, it became apparent to me that Mike's reputation is well deserved. His passion, knowledge of the game, commitment, and integrity stood out immediately. While Mike is clearly an asset to any organization and any major league staff, Jed and I believe that the Cubs would benefit long-term from bringing in a manager for 2012 who can come in with a clean slate and offer new direction.

"The managerial search process begins immediately. We are looking for someone with whom and around whom we can build a foundation for sustained success. The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level.

"I want to thank Mike for his nine years of excellent service to the Cubs, and we certainly wish him well in the future."

Quade was unavailable for comment.

He expressed no regrets over his tenure at the end of the season, the Cubs' second straight fifth-place finish. Other than Starlin Castro's stellar offensive season, there were few positive things to point to in 2011.

"You always look back at a few things, but not many," Quade said on his final day. "You can't look past the season 'Cassie' had, the resurgence of (Aramis) Ramirez … (Matt Garza) I thought got off to a good start. His numbers, record-wise, weren't great, but I thought he pitched real well.

I thought our bench did a good job. Reed (Johnson) had a nice year, and (Jeff Baker) did his thing, and Blake (DeWitt). You think about the injuries and some of the stuff that happened, those guys were there to pick up the slack a lot in certain situations. The bullpen as well, and (Ryan Dempster) shaking of his April."

Quade was informed by Chairman Tom Ricketts at the end of the season that he and his staff may have to wait a while to find out their fates. Quade and all his coaches were hired by former general manager Jim Hendry, and new general managers tend to bring in their own people, especially after a disastrous season like the one the Cubs experienced.

On the final day of the season, Quade was optimistic to the end, feeling as though the new boss would bring him back in 2012.

"It wasn't what we expected," Quade said that day. "I'm still proud of the effort they gave us. They kept playing, and they keep working. We've got plenty of work to do, but I'll take that away from the season as far as that group of guys goes."
    Mike Quade out as Chicago Cubs manager - chicagotribune.com

No more stupid nicknames! (Hopefully) No more Byrd-esque players hitting third! (Hopefully) No more terrible mismanaging of pitchers!

Kind of surprised he basically ruled out Sandberg already.

Let the search begin!
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Quade Fired; Ryno Not A Candidate

It's the right thing to do since Quade is not their guy and I would be shocked if Francona is not the manager at this point considering Sandberg is not an option. I was surprised to hear the Cardinals have asked permission to interview Sandberg.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dave Martinez and Pete Mackanin are possible interviews

Rookie ERA

I'm hearing Sveum and (Mike) Maddux are possibilities as well.

AAA ERA

Sandberg says Cubs fans should believe in Theo - DailyHerald.com

Epstein called Sandberg about 10 minutes after the press release came out. Classy move.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hope Sandy Alomar Jr. gets an interview as well. He deserves a chance somewhere.

Rookie ERA

It looks like Theo Epstein took one thing from Boston -- his list of managerial candidates.

The Chicago Cubs new president of baseball operations and new general manager Jed Hoyer will interview Philadelphia Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin as soon as Thursday, a baseball source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Epstein's old team, the Boston Red Sox, have already spoken to Mackanin about their managerial vacancy. And the two teams might have other candidates in common.

Both the Red Sox and Cubs have asked for permission to interview Greg Maddux's brother Mike, sources told SI.com. Mike Maddux is the Texas Rangers' pitching coach who also has had the same role with the Brewers.

Asked if the Cubs have asked permission from the Rangers to talk to Maddux, Texas general manager Jon Daniels said he'd prefer "not to comment about another team's process before they do."

Dale Sveum, former Milwaukee Brewers manager and the team's current hitting coach, is on the Cubs' list, sources told the Sun-Times. He interviewed with the Red Sox on Wednesday.

New Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said that the Cubs and Red Sox lists aren't identical.

"We did a lot of work together right after Tito (Terry Francona) left, and since Theo's left, our list has probably changed a little bit, and I don't know what his list looks like," Cherington said. "This hire in Boston -- Theo mentioned this before -- the manager-general manager relationship is critical, and it's got to be one where you can develop a mutual respect. You can disagree and argue and wake up the next morning and go back to work together, so that personal relationship is key. And the person that I would develop that kind of good working relationship with may be different than the person that Theo would.

"So I don't think we're looking for the same person even if some of the candidates we might consider could be similar.''

Mackanin, who was born in Chicago and graduated from Brother Rice High School, is a former major league second baseman and longtime minor league coach and manager. He has served as bench coach in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and was interim manager of the Pirates and Reds.

Sveum played for eight teams in a 12-year MLB career. He has ties to Epstein since he was the Red Sox's third-base coach for two seasons, including the 2004 title year. He has served as Brewers bench coach and interim manager.

Mike Maddux, 50, also was a well-traveled major leaguer, pitching for 10 teams in a 15-year career. He was the Brewers' pitching coach for six seasons and has been in the same role with the Rangers the last three seasons.

In his first season, the staff ERA dropped nearly a full run from 2008, the second-largest drop in team history. The 4.38 ERA in 2009 was the lowest since 1993 (before the team moved into Rangers Ballpark in Arlington). It got better in 2010 as the Rangers sported a 3.93 ERA, fourth-best in the AL. And this past season, the Rangers had a 3.79 ERA, the seventh-lowest in franchise history and the lowest since a club-record 3.31 ERA in 1983. It was just the second time in club history that the Rangers finished in the top five in ERA in the AL in consecutive years.

In his introduction, Hoyer mentioned pitching as a high priority for the Cubs moving forward, giving Mike Maddux a leg up. The Cubs are reportedly also hoping that Greg Maddux remains with the team in some capacity. He was a special assistant to former GM Jim Hendry.

None of the managerial candidates mentioned has the name recognition of Ryne Sandberg, the former Cubs great/Hall of Fame second baseman and current Phillies Triple-A manager who was told by Epstein that he is not in the running.

Another top name in the rumor mill, Terry Francona, is also not on Epstein's list, according to the Sun-Times, despite the history the pair share from their Boston days.

The newspaper reports that Rays skipper Joe Maddon is also not under consideration, but his bench coach, former Cub Dave Martinez, has been rumored to be in contention.
    Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox to interview Texas Rangers' Mike Maddux - ESPN Chicago

Francona and Maddon out.

Rookie ERA

Pete mackanin and mike maddux confirmed as 1st 2 interviews. Mack tomorrow.
    cst_cubs twitter

Theo says Francona would be on top of anyone's list, and wouldn't need to be interviewed, but both sides would have to decide it's a fit.
    Patrick Mooney twitter

#Cubs will consider Francona but he wont need an interview. Sveum in mix
    Bruce Miles twitter

This is all getting interesting.
    Last edited by Trendy Bastard; 11-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Rookie ERA

I also read a quote that that said Theo will sit down with Francona to see if it 'fits'. This all is really making it seem like it's his job if he wants it, and the Cubs are interviewing others just in case he doesn't.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I also read a quote that that said Theo will sit down with Francona to see if it 'fits'. This all is really making it seem like it's his job if he wants it, and the Cubs are interviewing others just in case he doesn't.
    Theo already said Francona wouldn't need to interview for the job. Jon Heyman said Theo was being polite:

SI_JonHeyman
    Jon Heyman
    very little (read as: no) chance #cubs hire tito. i bet theo was being polite. francona is real candidate in st. louis, tho
    36 minutes ago

Here's quotes from Theo. I don't get the vibe that it's Tito's job at all:

The Cubs will not officially interview former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, 52, but Francona remains a candidate.

"I know him like the back of my hand," Epstein said. "He knows me like the back of his hand. I don't think he'd have to (interview)."

The two already have had a conversation about the job, and Epstein said neither was sure it was "the right fit."

Epstein added that "this doesn't have to be the 'Boston show,' recreated in Chicago completely."

Epstein is not sure whether it's in his best interest to "work with a new manager," or "live in the past." Still, he said they may talk again.

"We're going to kind of sit down together and make sure it's a fit," Epstein said. "Clearly he would be at the top of anybody's list as far as available managers. I think that's true of any organization if they were to look at it and say, 'Who is somebody with experience, who is a proven winner?' You'd realize he is at or close to the top of the list. But I think it's got to be the right fit here.

"He needs to figure out whether this is right for him, and then as we continue our process and figure out exactly what direction we're headed, exactly who the right fit is for this organization, that would have to be the right fit, too. I'm not sure it is, and 'Tito' is not sure it is. But we have that relationship that transcends the professional side of things. ... We'll just continue to talk and see if it's the right fit for everybody."
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

We know Pete Mackanin will interview Friday. I think he's a bad choice because of his age. I'd like a younger guy who could be here a while. I know 60 isn't ancient for a manager, but how much does he have left in him?

Muskat said the following:

CarrieMuskat Carrie Muskat
    Mike Maddux says he hopes to meet with #Cubs next week. Battling laryngitis. Says he's humbled teams are interested in him to manage
    24 minutes ago

CarrieMuskat Carrie Muskat
    Dale Sveum and Sandy Alomar Jr also candidates for #Cubs. Terry Francona won't need an interview if added to list
    4 hours ago

Heyman speculated that...

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
    could #resdsox and #cubs interview same 6 guys? #sveum, #mackanin, #maddux, #dmartinez, #wallach, #alomarjr. #greatminds
    7 hours ago

Bruce Miles from the Daily Herald said something rather interesting

BruceMiles2112
    Bruce Miles
    #Cubs interview process will have managerial candidates being given game situations and asked to react, given several variables.
    1 hour ago

He also mentioned

BruceMiles2112
    Bruce Miles
    @ChiTownSports Boston coach DeMarlo Hale (a Chicago guy) will likely get consideration. He's well regarded
    56 minutes ago
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Rookie ERA
    Just the vibe I got, man. I read all the quotes. Didn't need to post all of them. The whole whether or not Francona feels that he fits was the main part that made me think that. I could be completely wrong, and I probably am. But I won't be surprised in the slightest if he gets the job.

He wouldn't be my first choice. I'd like to get a pitching guy to take the helm. Maddux would be great, in my opinion.

AAA ERA

Just the vibe I got, man. I read all the quotes. Didn't need to post all of them. The whole whether or not Francona feels that he fits was the main part that made me think that. I could be completely wrong, and I probably am. But I won't be surprised in the slightest if he gets the job.

He wouldn't be my first choice. I'd like to get a pitching guy to take the helm. Maddux would be great, in my opinion.
    I think if it was Francona they'd just hire him out the gate. If he's the best guy out there why not just find out if he's a fit before interviewing others?

I'd like Maddux or Martinez. I'd hope since Greg works for us it could help us land Mike over Boston.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Rookie ERA
    Well there would be a possibility that Francona hasn't decided yet, and they are still conducting interviews just in case.

Martinez would probably be my second choice after Maddux.

AAA ERA

Well there would be a possibility that Francona hasn't decided yet, and they are still conducting interviews just in case.

Martinez would probably be my second choice after Maddux.
    I wonder how Francona would handle a rebuilding team. Maddon is VERY high on Martinez as his right hand man. It's probably a positive he's been learning from Maddon as he was the runner up to Francona in Boston.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast