Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quade Fired; Ryno Not A Candidate

AAA ERA

Re: Quade Fired; Ryno Not A Candidate

I absolutely am excited about the process of picking this manager. I didn't realize that's how they picked Francona. I'm glad to see the interview process is as innovative as everything else Epstein is involved with. I'm glad the interviews with the media will be done for the right reasons. They will have to deal with a big market media so you want to make sure they can handle that aspect of the job.

Cubs manager interviews out of ordinary

By Paul Sullivan

Once the Cubs managerial candidates settle into their seat for an interview, they will be put through an unconventional interview that's a bit more complicated than asking "What do you know about Wrigley Field wind currents in April and May?"

One part of the process is game simulations, in which the candidate is handed lineup cards, statistics, a history of the relievers' workloads and other relevant facts. A candidate will watch a tape of a game with the Cubs' brass, who will stop the tape at various junctures to ask the candidate what he would do in a particular situation.

Terry Francona passed the test with the Red Sox, and won two World Series.

"We'd try to create some intensity, so we got right in his face and asked for an answer pretty quickly," president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said. "We weren't looking so much as to what the managerial candidate said, in terms of the strategy he would employ, but what pieces of information he would use — what his thought process would be in trying to make a decision (under pressure)."

Starting with Pete Mackanin on Friday, the candidates will meet with the Cubs' top four baseball executives — Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer, vice-president of scouting/player development Jason McLeod and assistant GM Randy Bush.

Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts will not be involved in the initial meeting, but Epstein said they will "expose other members of the baseball ops department as appropriate," bringing Ricketts in with the rest of the board — his siblings Laura, Todd and Pete — when they have made a decision.

"Tom and the board will meet with our recommendation before moving forward," Epstein said.

Epstein's only managerial hiring was eight years ago in Boston, when he ultimately decided on Francona over then-Angels coach Joe Maddon as Grady Little's replacement. He and Hoyer will use a blueprint of the methodology they concocted in Boston when choosing the next Cubs' manager.

"The process is to figure out how somebody's mind works," Hoyer said. "It is really hard in the standard (interview) format to get a feel for that. …"

Epstein said "conventional" interviews are fine, but added "we tried to incorporate other elements that might shed some insight into how this person would actually do" in realistic situations.

They didn't want someone who was impressive in an interview and turned out not to be a good fit.

"You have someone really impressive in an interview, and then you hire them as a manager and they turn out to be a dud," Epstein said. "Or you get somebody who is a dud in the interview, and they turn out to be a fantastic manager and leader of men."

For the Red Sox, candidates were asked to play "games" to reveal their thought process.

"We ask them to make lists," Epstein said. "Some questions we ask for immediate answers, some we give them half an hour to kind of compose thoughts. Just try and simulate the different things a manager has to do over the course of the day."

The final test is how the manager deals with the media. In a distinct change of philosophy, the Cubs will bring some candidates in to meet the media after interviews, including Mackanin.

Like a "simulated game" for a Cubs' pitcher, Epstein said he wanted to "simulate" how the candidate performs under the media spotlight.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
    mike maddux has withdrawn from consideration for red sox managers job. my impression is he may be favored for #cubs job
    29 minutes ago

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
    even if mike maddux does go to cubs (& @pgammo says he may stay in tex), brother greg isnt thought eager to be p. coach
    11 minutes ago

pgammo Peter Gammons
    Mike Maddux hasn't been to Chicago, Boston wasn't good family fit, not yet sure he can give more time away from family. Stay tuned
    21 minutes ago

pgammo Peter Gammons
    "We're in a good situation," Maddux says of his Ranger job. "My family moved here, the kids will be in school for 3 more years here."
    20 minutes ago

sahadevsharma Sahadev Sharma
    He may stay in Texas for family reasons, seems like a very legitimate possibility... but fact that he didn't rule out #Cubs job is curious
    7 minutes ago
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am glad Alomar Jr. got an interview!

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by PWSullivan Twitter
    How would Maddux handle Z; "Heard he's a teddy bear." Might put him on shoulder "and burp him."
    Sign this man!
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

Rookie ERA

Mike Maddux took his turn meeting with the Cubs' brass Wednesday at Wrigley Field, becoming the third candidate to officially interview for the managerial vacancy.

Maddux, the Texas pitching coach and brother of Greg Maddux, declined to address his decision to turn down a chance to interview for the Boston vacancy.

Sandy Alomar Jr. will interview Friday, the Cubs announced.

Maddux was impressive in his postgame interview, making jokes, getting serious at times and and summing up his philosophy on becoming a successful team,

"When people talk about more talent -- (like) 'They have more talent than we do,' it doesn't matter," he said. "Because you're talking about the most talented guys in the world. The guys that play for the Cubs, the guys that play for the Phillies, the Brewers, the Padres, they're the best players in the world, the best talents.

"So the talent is there -- it comes down to the best makeup guys."

Maddux said he would have to weigh family matters if the Cubs offer him the job. He said he's been with his wife and two daughters in Texas since June, the first time in three years that's happened. He said he and Greg spoke about the Cubs' job, and Greg told him about the organization. As for Greg's possible role with the team if Mike was hired, Mike said it was a "private family matter."

Mike Maddux conceded he would be "bluffing" if he said he knew the Cubs' staff, though he liked having a couple of 200-inning caliber pitchers in Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster.

Asked how he would handle Carlos Zambrano, he said: "First thing you've got to do is meet him. I heard he's a big teddy bear. Might take him up and just burp him."

Zambrano is a big man, of course.

"Strong back, baby," Maddux said.

Maddux said Zambrano was the "best thing since sliced bread" when he saw him seven-eight years ago, calling him the "best pitcher in the National League" at the time.

"That's what I have in my mind about him," he said. "I've seen him dominate."

Why does Maddux think the Cubs have not won in so long?

"When I was with the opposition, I did everything I could to keep the Cubs from winning," he said. "I never sat here and analyzed it... I always admired everything, from the crowd to.. I despised the song, 'Go, Cubs, Go.' But I've always admired this town. it's a very, very unique setup, and a historic park. Whoever becomes the manager of this ballclub is in a good spot."

When Maddux got up to leave, the cameramen asked for him to stop for a shot. Maddux stopped, did a quick turn like a fashion model and left the room.
    This guy seems so right for the job. I think I am 100% on the Maddux for manager bandwagon.

Rookie ERA
    Alomar will interview tomorrow and a manager should be in place by Tuesday.

Rookie ERA

Also, I read an article that made it seem like Francona wants to manage this season, and would love to manage the Cubs. He also said that he loves Wrigley, and it's pretty much up to Theo.

So the list we are looking at here are:

Mackanin
    Sveum (rumored to be the favored guy in Boston)
    Maddux
    Alomar Jr.
    Francona

I'll be ecstatic with Maddux or Francona. I really haven't looked into Alomar Jr., but I'm sure he's qualified for the position.

Rookie ERA

Francona has dropped out, and

Per John Arguello
    Hearing whispers that Maddux may be the next to pull out of #Cubs manager race. Nothing confirmed, though. Trying to verify.
    That would be quite disappointing.

AAA ERA

Francona was never an actual candidate. Theo just never shot it down publicly out of respect for Francona. Would suck if Maddux dropped out because I think that's who they wanted. Though Sverum was the Red Sox favorite so this is interesting...

CSNMooney Patrick Mooney
    Asked if they'd have to recruit Sveum with #RedSox lurking, Hoyer says: "The #Cubs sell themselves."
    12 minutes ago

PeteAbe Pete Abraham
    Lucchino: "Might we widen the [managerial] search? Yeah." #RedSox
    12 minutes ago

MikeSilvermanBB Michael Silverman
    Asked if #RedSox could widen the pool of candidates in manager's search, Lucchino said 'Absolutely.'
    12 minutes ago
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

With Maddux rumored to be the favorite. Kind of funny our runner up would come here over the place that wanted him most.

SI_JonHeyman
    Jon Heyman
    Signs point to sveum going with cubs. He's the 1 guy they've interviewed twice in person. Process "moving along"
    14 minutes ago

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
    Redsox prez lucchino says they're widening their search same day they saw sveum. Another sign sveum will go w/ cubs
    12 minutes ago

BruceMiles2112 Bruce Miles
    Family matters appear to be carrying the day for Mike Maddux. Signs pointing to Sveum to #Cubs
    12 minutes ago

CarrieMuskat Carrie Muskat
    Mike Maddux most likely out of running for #Cubs job because of family matters
    11 minutes ago
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12