Thread: Levine On Fukudome/Soriano/Byrd

Rookie ERA

Levine On Fukudome/Soriano/Byrd

With the trading deadline approaching, more and more contending teams are showing interest in Chicago Cubs players.

Right fielder Kosuke Fukudome has been on the radar of a number of teams, including the Cleveland Indians. The Indians, who lost right fielder Shin Soo-Choo to injury, would be a much better team with Fukudome.

A National League scout, who asked for anonymity, likes what he has seen in Fukudome this season as opposed to the previous two.

“He’s a different player now,” the scout said. “He’s different than when he came to the Cubs. Fukudome no longer tries to pull the ball on a regular basis. He has better balance in the batter’s box and doesn’t’ overswing like when you would see him spin around in the past. Right now he’s kind of a poor man’s Ichiro. He doesn’t have Suzuki’s speed, but he’ll hit the ball where it’s pitched and take a single or a walk. That’s why he has the good high on-base percentage.”

The scout went on to say that as a defensive player, Fukudome is above average in range as well as arm strength and accuracy.

Fukudome, who was not a favorite of former Cubs manager Lou Piniella, has done well under Mike Quade, who continues to lead him off against right-handers since taking over for Piniella on Aug. 23, 2010.

In any deal the Cubs are seeking minor league pitching that they can project to the majors in return for veteran players. Teams also have expressed interest in lefty reliever John Grabow, outfielder Alfonso Soriano and Marlon Byrd.

Soriano’s a possible DH answer for an American League team.

A source told ESPNChicago.com that the Cubs would eat a high percentage of over $60 million left on Soriano’s deal in the right trade.

Teams have also inquired about Byrd, who has one year remaining at $6 million. However, with the possibility of Fukudome and/or Soriano going elsewhere, the Cubs would hesitate to move the versatile Byrd, who can play all three outfield positions and mentor players like up-and-coming Brett Jackson on and off the field. Byrd’s leadership by example cannot be overestimated.

After having off the record meetings with management over the last week, Aramis Ramirez is staying with the Cubs, according to a major league source.

Ramirez told the Cubs as he did to ESPNChicago.com last week that he wants to stay with the team. Ramirez has a full no-trade clause.
    Fukudome could be fit with Indians - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN ChicagoL

Looks like I hit the nail on the head when I posted about Sizemore's injury. Cleveland could definitely use Fukudome.

Now what I find REALLY interesting is how much exactly the Cubs would pay to get rid of Soriano. Also you'd have to wonder if it would be worth it.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Levine On Fukudome/Soriano/Byrd

I don't see any team taking Soriano even at half price. He's just not that good anymore. Can't field a position, can't stay healthy, can't run anymore and his power has dropped off over the years. He started the season hot but hasn't done much since. He's 35 and under contract til 2014. If Hendry can get someone to take him off the Cubs' hands, he deserves another year as GM (I am aware he gave him the shitty deal in the first place)

Rookie ERA

You're probably right. But let me dream will you!

MLB ERA

He can always talk to the Angels. They don't mind taking on shitty contracts.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Rookie ERA

That's the first team I thought of. I wish Hendry would have gotten to them before AA did.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Too bad Wells and Soriano play the same position